Re: Early Mk1 vs Later Years was: MK naming convention

--- T Berk <tberk@mindspring.com> wrote:
> [Sourdough Starter]
> I found out the hard way that the carpeting for the
> rear wheel wells is
> different and the rear seats are different between
> the pre 78 and the
> 79-81 models.
>

> What, pray tell, are the differences in the early
> cars vs the later
> Mk1s, esp related to the rear seats and carpeting.

AFAIK, The only cars to come with trunk carpeting
(rear wheel wells) were the "S" models and maybe the
"limited edition 5spd (1979). Dick Wong is the orig.
owner of a '78 Sidewinder (please inform us).

Yes, the seat back is diff - at the base. What I did
when I discovered this (back in the early 80's was
simply swap the upholstery to a seat back that fits.

there are other sublte differences (carb vs FI, etc.,
110mph, 100mph, and 85mph speedos, 4spd vs 5spd, two
wipers (74-75) vs single wiper (76-81), chrome look
instrument panel vs woodgrain vs flat black) how nit
picky do ya want to get?

=====
Mark Peele
1981 Scirocco, 1982 Scirocco, 1978 Scirocco, 1987 Golf GT
http://www.scirocco2.de/mark.htm
Direct Mail: SCIROCCO_GTX@YAHOO.COM
Need parts? try http://www.parts4vws.com/ (Potterman)
or http://www.germanautoparts.com/ (Adirondack)