Re: oil on timing belt

On Wed, 19 Jan 2000 23:25:50 -0500 theforce@invasion.com writes:

> after having a new valve cover gasket installed, it seems that the
> gasket was pinched on the side where the cam bear is (on a 16v motor)
That is so common it's not even funny...
Most the 16V valvecovers that I've removed have had the same exact cut in
the, right at the front corner of the cam bearing. 8^(

> and allowed oil to spray out tha tside inside the engine bay, and on
the timing
> belt.......will the oil on the timing belt be a dangerous situation?
Yes, change it as soon as possible. If you've recently changed the timing
belt and tensioner, I would just replace the belt.

>...will it seriously decrease the life of the timing belt?
Yeah man, rubber doesn't like oil...

> i have since replaced the valve cover gasket, so the situation is
> theoretically solved
>
> dave

The most important thing with a 16 valve, other than changing the oil, is
to change the timing belt and tensioner on a regular basis.

I bought my '88 with a seized tensioner and a new timing belt compliments
of Joe Morgan's cousin Mike Subda. Luckily I caught it, I noticed that
the back of the timing belt looked rough for a new belt and it had a
burnished glaze to it.

Btw, change the timing belt.

Peter
'79 Scirocco 16V project car
'80 Scirocco
'88 Scirocco 16V
'83 GTI, daily driver

              To reply to the Scirocco list click here:
<mailto:thescirocco@juno.com,scirocco-l@scirocco.org>