Re: MK naming convention

Mark replied:
> --- h bragg <hlbragg@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Can someone explain the MK naming convention used on
> > Sciroccos? What year models are ones, twos, etc.?
> > Does it indicate a redesign year?
> > Does MK stand for anything?
>
> It is used to differentiate the two body styles:
>
> MK1 = 1974-1981
> MK2 = 1982-1992
>
> MK stands for Mark, as in Mark 1. Don't ask me why,
> but this has been common in the english language for a
> long time.

At one point, just recently too, there was some overlap between the
interchangeable use of A1/A2 vs Mk1/Mk2, etc.. Our British friends
across the pond were fond of using Mk1 to denote the A1 chassis and Mk2
for the latter A2. This lead to confusion as others (mostly us American
Internet wankers) used Mk to mean a major body restyling on the same
chassis; thereby the Mk1 Scirocco (up to 81) and the latter Mk2
Scirocco. Not too many other models even required something like this
unless maybe the Rabbit ragtop and it's descendants.

> Others use Scirocco 1 and Scirocco 2 to differentiate.
>
> Both the MK1 (Scirocco 1) and MK2 (Scirocco 2) are
> built on the VW A1 chassis (along with the Rabbit
> (Golf 1), Jetta 1, pickup, and Cabriolet (1980-1993).
> HTH
> =====
> Mark Peele

Good stuff Mark,