That stinky Scirocco moment...

Weird thing happened with my 88 16V Sunday.  I was waiting in grid for
my first run of autoX in Vegas, when I see smoke fuming on by me while I
was sitting in my car.  Thinking to myself 'damn that stinks', I look
back to see who's car it is and it's mine!  WTF??  I hit the gas and
white smokes puffs out.  Not extremely a lot, but enough to get me
worried, especially since I have to drive the car 6 hours back to Utah.
10 minutes go by and it's finally my turn to run.  I looked back
occasionally while on the course and it didn't seem like the car was
smoking anymore.  I get back in grid and no more smoke.  Can anyway
explain this?  Is this a sign of soon-to-be engine failure?  The car ran
fine the rest of my 10 runs and all the way back to Utah.  Weird.

-Mike