removing a plug

Before a damage another one, could someone let me in on the secret of
disconnecting those square plugs around the engine of my car? I'm talking
about the ones that connect things like the cold-start valve, the
auxilliary air regulator, etc. I broke off a chunk of plastic on the
auxilliary air regulator plug, but it's still on solid. I can see how it's
connected but can't think of a way to get it off, except perhaps with a
special tool, or maybe some acrobatic fiddling around with a couple
screwdrivers.

-Oliver

Oliver Seiler -- Software Developer, Pivotal Software, http://www.pivotal.com
    Scirocco MkII Diary - http://erisian.com/~oseiler/scirocco/index.html