Re: [mkII] reinstalling A/C (long)

Wow.  Deja Vu, same thing happened to mine.  The PO cut the line comming out
of the firewall and busted off the fitting at the top of the condenser.
Have hope though, I was able to fix mine.  Talking to Potterman about it, he
said that from previous experience the guts of the evaporator should be ok.
What I did was buy a used compressor, used lines and condenser (thanks to
Van Vuren Motorsports).  Find a local A/C shop a buy new O-rings for all the
fittings and you must buy a new drier/reciever ($20.00 from VW).  Discuss
your dilema with him and ask for advice (be sure he squirts some of his oil
on the O-rings so they will seat correctly when installed)  The
drier/reciever has a desicant to remove any water in the lines and it also
acts as a particulate filter.  This will take care of most contaminates in
your lines and it will spare your compressor.  If you are serious about the
job I would pick up a Haynes manual because it has a good description of the
A/C system (better than the Bentley).  If you take your time and have a
little determination you can fix it.  As for recharging, you can get it done
by a pro or do it yourself.  The last time I went to a pro it was $100.00
for updating to R-114 and getting new valves.  I opted for the K-mart R-114
updating kit ($35.00).  It worked awesome, it comes with oil and enough
refrigerant plus some.  I used my A/C for most of the summer without a
problem, I would definately do it again.  In all I think I spent about
$150.00.

I did the install while I was changing the head gasket so removing the
radiator to put in the condenser was not an issue.  So you will need to
drain your coolant and take out your radiator.  That is, if the fittings out
you condensor are damaged.

Hope this helps

Josh