Tranny Woes..

I have an '87 16v w/ the original tranny in it.  Just recently, the tranny
has been leaking really badly.  I would leave the car for 1/2 hour and
there would be a small puddle under the tranny.  It looks like it is
leaking from the top of the tranny.  Anyone have any ideas what it might
be?  The weird thing is that the car shifts really smoothly.  This is the
smoothest VW tranny I have ever driven.  I can downshift into first easily.

Aaron..