Re: 16V Handling -- a story

For what it's worth, you might want to try this:

> First off is that (in my opinion) in stock configuration it understeers
HORRIBLY. It may be my driving style
> and newness to the sport but the car pushed everywhere. I could only
lessen it
> by running 45psi in the front tires (which lead to a annoying shudder
as the car tried to plow off course. It just seemed > too heavy for its
own good.

Front wheel drive cars tend to want to understeer.  When you accelerate
the weight shifts towards the rear of the car, giving the rear tires more
grip.  When I autocross, I go into the turn with little or no throttle to
shift the weight to the front of the car and let the back end come
around.  I wait until the apex to hit the gas.  This works wonderfully
for my driving style and setup.

> Second off was turn in response. The steering rack ratio could be alot
quicker.

The smaller diameter steering wheels help.  Alot.  You can go the Momo
route.  Personally, I was going for one until someone sold me a Grant
wheel for $10.  It's not as nice as the Momo, but it was $10.  It made
all the difference in the world!  Downside?  They can be expensive, they
make the steering heavier at low speeds, and will likely block some of
the gauges.  But everyone I know got used to that.

> Lastly and perhaps most annoying is not being able to downshift into
first while rolling ARRGHHHH! I hate that,          > coming hot into a
turn and trying to jam it into first so I can be on the power apexing
through the turn, and it
> always works out to be a teeth grinding thud and shudder if you are

I suspect the not wanting to downshift into first gear while moving is a
VW thing or something.  Every one I have ever driven has done that.
Often, people generally don't bother shifting to first anyway, because
they feel that you lose more time in the extra shifting than you gain
with the extra power.  Again, this is a matter of personal taste.

One thing I recommend to everyone who hasn't done it is to go to a
driver's school somewhere.  For those who don't know what I mean:  This
is where you take your car to a race track and you have an instructor sit
next to you and teach you how to drive real fast.  They'll teach you all
of the issues of apexing, weight transfer, etc.  And if you can spend
some time on a skid pad, all the better.  You steer these cars as much
with the gas pedal as you do with the steering wheel.  Plus, it's fun as
Hell!

Have fun!
B.

'82 Scirocco (a.k.a. "Fritz")