Re: Yes, another braking question.

Hey Randy! I was referring to the stock mounting layout of the MC on your
car. From what I remember from the Etka CD (alas, I loaned it to a friend
and cant check right now) there were 2 different sizes used on mk1's. If you
go to the later style BB then you can use different MC's. The problem you
are having is that the piston for the 10.1" calipers is that they are bigger
and the stock MC doesnt push enough brake fluid at the right volume fast
enough. If you have a bigger MC then the pedal stays up 'cause you are
pushing more volume of fluid through the lines. It might not be air in the
system; just that you aren't pushing anough volume fast enough. Hope this
makes sense!

>From: "Randy B" <scirokn81@email.msn.com>
>To: <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
>Subject: Re: Yes, another braking question.
>Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2000 23:48:48 -0800
>
>Chris,
>Thanks for the reply.
>You say only two MC's but then say I can upgrade to 22mm or even a
>25mm, if these are upgrades wouldn't that make three if you include
>the one you are upgrading from. :) Probably just a typo. If there are
>three,
>what is the size of the 81 Scirocco MC. I will probably stick with the
>stock
>BB for I would like more control over the amount of stopping power that I
>seemed to have lost with the other setup with the larger BB and MC on
>my other car. After changing rear lines to ss braid and re-bleeding if I
>still have pedal travel problems I will try the next larger size MC.
>-Randy
>

>Chris wrote:
> >AFAIK there aree only 2 MC's available for the MK1 with that type of
> >mounting layout. If you use the later BB then you can upgrade to a 22mm
>or
> >even a 25mm MC. this will reduce pedal travel drastically. HTH
>

> >>Tech question: 10.1" Mk1 braking
> >>
> >>I just installed 10.1's on my 81 Mars Scirocco using the original
> >>MS and BB that came with the car. (I am going to run the stock rear
> >>drum setup for now.) After bleeding the brakes correctly I took the
> >>car out for a test drive and noticed that the pedal travels further to
>the
> >>floor before the grabbing begins than it did with the 9.4's. At first
>this
> >>bothered me a little but after a few fast/hard stops I noticed that it
>will
> >>definitely outbrake the earlier setup and I can easily and controllably
> >>lock up the fronts, but heel-toe is out of the question without
>launching
> >>the motor. I think that the 10.1 calipers probably hold more fluid and
> >>that may be why the pedal travels further, but the car will stop on a
> >>dime with about the same pedal pressure as before and is very linear.
> >>
> >>My question is whether or not going a larger MS will give me back
> >>the shorter pedal travel I had with the 9.4's. If so, are there more
> >>than two types of OEM MS's that were available for the earlier
> >>VW's and which one would be recommend for the solution to the
> >>above inconvenience. I am assuming that I dont want the larger BB
> >>because the pedal pressure is fine and I would like to stay away from
> >>the exponential stopping power I felt with the 10.1's, BB and MS from
> >>an 86? Scirocco 8V on my other 81 Scirocco. If this question has
> >>already been answered, I apologize, just let me when it was posted
> >>so I can find it in the archives.
> >>Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
> >>
> >>Randy B.
>

>--

Chris DeLong
ICQ#45030867
Seattle, WA USA
'80 16V Rag
'82 GLI (with a severely mangled trunk lock thanks to the fucking thieves!)
'80 'Vert
'61 17 Window
'78 Scirocco