Gauge cluster removal

Am I the only one who thinks it is a total PIA to remove the gauge cluster
from the dash without breaking anything?  I've never had that much
difficulty removing it from any other VW I've owned.  I am finally getting
around to replacing the broken speedo gear.  Since it is out now, I am
thinking about the MFA computer I don't have.  Is most of the wiring present
on a 1988 car to install the arm and the center section of the gauge
cluster, or do I have to run wiring for everything including the sensors
(obviously I don't have a thermometer in the fender waiting to get hooked
up, it would be nice though)?  Is it best to go through the Bentley and
order the parts from a parts house?

I wonder if now is the best time for those colored gauge faces.

David Barwick
Black '88 Scirocco
Anthracite '84 GLI
Eugene, OR