Re: shifting

    I also just finished doing this, but I installed the reduction kit and
the weighted shift rod, and I put on the vw motorsports rear (superhard)
"engine mount". I highly recommend this mount. For one thing, it's removal
made the linkage rebuild/shift-kit install easier. The engine didn't even
really sag when I took it off, and the "manual durometer" showed it to be
much stiffer. I didn't notice any difference in vibration or noise. I dunno
if the difference in torque-transfer is noticeable, but it is definitely
better.
    I ended up cutting about 2" off the shift rod itself, and this made a
bigger improvement than any single other thing in this process. I might be
able to even cut some more off of it... I too still have a bit of play that
I'm not quite satisfied with, but I think it may be in the actuall
shaft/rod/spring/teeth thingy. I'll continue to work on it. When I started,
I had sooo much play that people that weren't used to the car could'nt tell
when they were in gear!

If you felt like it, you could make your own weighted shift rod. Heck, you
coulda' easily made the whole thing yourself.

-Noah
-83 VW 16v Cabbie (Will this project ever run?)
-83 VW Callaway Turbo Rocco (Craving Audi parts)
-87 VW 8v GTI (Will this car ever die? 250kmi)
-87 Audi 5kCSTQ (recently aquired, not featured on my site)
http://www.members.tripod.com/pchandyman/