Re: JH combo

On Tue, 29 Feb 2000 00:36:29 EST VeeWdriver@aol.com writes:
>Anybody ever build a JH engine with only a 1mm overbore (82mm) and stock

>compression?  I was curious what kind of horsepower this would put out
with a
>G-grind cam, dual outlet exhaust manifold, Techtonics downpipe, 2.25"
>exhaust, Audi 5000 throttle body with match ported manifold.

about 115-125hp. Depending on who does the work, how well they do it,
ect.
The 2.25" system is a bad choice. Its simply too big.

>I want to go
>with bigger pistons but might be adding a supercharger later so I don't
want
>to raise compression right now.  The second overbore (82mm) pistons are
>fairly inexpensive, but, they only come in the stock compression.  I was
just
>wondering what kind of power this would put out and if it would keep me
happy
>until I get around to doing the supercharger which could be quite some
>time.

You should be able to get 82mm pistons in the 8.5-1 CR. Using bigger
slugs wont raise the CR unless the pistons themselves are different. In
fact, you could actually reduce the CR by using a larger piston, but with
the same dish shape.

I would say build this motor as wild as you can for now. When you get to
the point where you want to build a supercharged motor, get a JH block
and build it specifically for supercharging. The again, if your gonna
supercharge it, the JH is not the best pick. Take advantage of the 16V
oiling system or, use a G-60 block since its bottom end is bulletproof
and set up for forced induction duties. By the time you get to the point
where you want to CAN go the supercharger route, a G-60 block should be
affordable and readily rebuildable with a nice overbore (displacement is
everything) and a solid bottom end.

Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi   82' Scirocco GTi   81' "Project Scirocco FSP"
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and