RE: {audio} powering deck --- what would the symtoms be if hooked up wrong?

I've currently got an aftermarket deck in my rocco, which turns on when the
ignition is turned...
If this is incorrect, as it seems we have agreed, what would be some adverse
effects that I could expect to see?
My roc will never start when its cold (below 32), and sometimes even when
its not it will have to crank a bit..  I was going to recondition the
grounds, thinking that was my problem, but could the stereo hooked up
incorrectly be a factor in that sort of problem?

timbob
87 16v