Re: [8v,JH] control-pressure regulator vacuum connections

The warm-up regulator with vacuum enrichment came on the I5 & I4 16v
engines, and maybe on some audi I4 applications.  Sounds like you've got one
off an early to mid '80s audi or passat.

Since you don't have the enrichment circuit connected-up, the critical
factor, in your case, will be the basic control pressure range of the
regulator:  if it is too low for your fuel distributor then you'll get too
much fuel flowing and a rich mixture. If you should have the vacuum
connector hooked up then you'll be running lean, if anything, rather than
rich.  It's worth checking the electrical connection to the regulator
(supplies heater in the regulator, I think) and whether the circuit in the
regulator is good, as I've found that if I disconnect mine, it doesn't run
very well.  If that's OK, take your car to someone with a fuel presssure
gauge and see if the control pressure & main system pressure is within spec.

There are several applications where the cap is fitted as stock. The 8v
scirocco should just have a standard regulator, with no vacuum connector.
For the JH engine the p/n is 063 133 403, the euro version is 043 133 403.
An I5 version (audi or passat)with cap is 034 133 403 or 035 133 403.
I am running with one off an audi 2.2 and the vacuum connection is to a
takeoff on the inlet manifold.  I do, however, have an audi 2L rather than
the original 1.8, using the original 1.8 fuel meter.

HTH,

Ewan Hopkins
'85 2.0 Storm