Re: 16v Cat/Downpipe(emissions)

Well, I work at a shop that does smogs and can agree that a
properly tuned car should pass smog without having a working cat.
However, if you lived in or the car is registered in an enhanced
area(especially parts of California) it will more than likely not pass.
In enhanced areas your car has to be smogged on a loaded dyno
which also measures NOx. Plus all of the other measurements are
calculated by grams per miles, not parts per million. On a loaded
test, it would be next to impossible to pass with out a functioning
catastropic divertor ;)
                   Kris Rayner
                  1989 GTI 16V
    1981 VW Scirocco S - Soon to be a 16V :)-
     "I do nothing in moderation but work."
               -Charles Dickens
        http://www.fix.net/~trzracing/web/