RE: oil pressure weirdness

Alex Ting wrote:

>ok, this problem is on the zender daily driver.....
>'86 JH motor.
>
>So just recently, the oil pressure has been dropping
>considerably on cornering.

The problem is known (oil starvation) but the cause is not. Especially
since this is new.

When I first got my 85, the plastic sleeve on the dipstick tube was long
gone. The result was that the dipstick sat lower in the oil pan than it
was supposed to. So when I thought the oil was in the halfway mark, it
was actually way below. This would cause oil starvation during medium
cornering. So check that.

Next is the oil pump. I swapped in a hydraulic head once and the pump
that was on the same engine. Made in Mexico, low pressure when oil temps
were up at 100C and at idle (like coasting in neutral onto a freeway
offramp). Put in a 36mm oil pump and problem went away.

With full oil and a properly working pump, the pressure should be fine
even during pretty hard cornering.

If the dipstick is reading the right oil level, then pull the pan and
check the lash on the pump.

A PITA, but better than an engine swap.

HTH

Jonas