Re: Fuel tank

Ryan,
Is your Scirocco a Mk1 or Mk2. I have done a tank on my 81 Cosmos and helped
a friend with the one on his 81 Cirrus.
If you go through all the effort of changing out a tank, DO NOT install the
tank without first having the inside chemically stripped and coated. The Mk1
Scirocco tanks rust inside over time and unless you are buying or have a
brand new tank have it treated first. It is much cheaper to have this done
than to have to replace your entire fuel system rust particles from the tank
pierce through your filter and clog up your distributor and lines. I know
this from experience. :(

First drive the car until the tank is almost empty, or siphon out as much
gas as you can.
Before starting remove the cover under the rear seat bottom and unplug the
fuel sender.

This is what I did for the Mk1's:

1. Remove the battery cables and put rear of car on jack stands as high as
you can safely. (do not put stands anywhere on the axle beam)
2. Remove rear wheels and leave rear struts attached during entire
procedure.
3. Put jack under middle part of axle beam and extend until it just touches
it. (do not jack up the car this way)
4. Unbolt the two fuel pump mounting nuts and lower it so that you have
access to the brake line on that side.(10mm and 13mm)

5. Unbolt the four 17mm bolts (2 each side) that hold the pivoting part of
the axle to the body.
6. Lower the axle with the jack until you can reach the brake lines to
disconnect them.
7. Have a catch pan ready and disconnect the brake lines.(14mm and 11mm)
8. Lower the axle as far as you can without putting undue stress on the
e-brake cables.
9. Remove the retaining staps for the tank (nut on one side and hook on the
other)
10. Have another catch pan ready and remove the hose from the filler pipe to
the tank and allow it to drain before continuing.
11. Once the tank has drained gently lower the fuel tank so that you have
access to the hoses on the passenger side of the tank near the fuel pump.
12. Remove all fuel lines going to the tank (I think there were 3, two on
top and the one on the bottom from the fuel pump).
13. Gently extract the tank from underneath the car being careful not to
damage the e-brake cables.

You can double check this with your Bentley.
Instalation is the reverse but is a little more difficult because of trying
to fit the tank back into position.
Since you are removing the tank I would replace the fuel line to the pump,
the one from the metal filler pipe, inspect the metal filler pipe for rust
holes, and replace the flapper at the filler neck connection on the new
tank. You should also remove the in-tank filter on the new replacement tank
after having it coated and then install a new filter
I may of missed a step or two but this is how I remember it to be.
Any listers out there feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Are the Mk1 and Mk2 tanks the same?????

Hope this helps.

Randy B.
Cosmos 81 Scirocco S - soon to be 2.0L 16V
Mars 81 Scirocco S - t t 1847cc