[all] removing axels q' and adding offset

is there a secret to removing that outer axel bolt?
the one in the hub? right now im guessing the only
way to get that nut off is an impact wrench? I think
i'll just swap the whole damn a-arm and hub assembly...
removing the 2 a-arm bolts and the control arm is
seeming a lot easier right now than try to lug a full
air compressor tank to my storage shed... i practically
jumped up and down on my come-along bar trying to
loosen that nut (yes the axel was viced down and not rotating
an inch)

has anyone had good experiences with a machine shop
changing the offset of a set of rims? my coilover
retaining ring rubbs up against my msw type 55's(17")
so i need to bring the wheel out about 1/2", i was
planning on taking them to a machine shop and getting
a plate welded on the back side and the 5 holes drilled,
plus this will let me ditch the hubcentric rings. Is this
a good idea?

Ryan