Re: transmission adjustment.

>The splines are set at one time, there should be no need to
>'mess' with them

Actually, T; if your passenger side motor mount is bad then the adjustment
will be out of whack. If you dont have enough $$ to fix the mount then it
would be better to adjust the splines. Not to mention the eternal question:
who worked on it before?

>TBerk
>
>John Van Vuren wrote:
> >
> > I think you're thinking too hard  :)
> >
> > There is a splined adjustment on the shifting rod that goes from the
>shifter
> > towards the front of the car, ending near the steering rack.  Loosen the
> > clamp bolt (13mm wrench I believe) and turn *one* spline.  Make sure you
> > figure out which way you want to turn it.  Also, only go one spline at a
> > time, it makes a big difference.  If you go too far you won't be able to
>get
> > into reverse.
> >
> > Hope this helps - oh yeah, check your bushings while you're under there,
> > it's possible that new bushings would solve the problem with no
>adjustment
> > necessary.
> >
> > John
> >
> > lots of stuff
> > http://www.prod.net/jvanvuren/vw.htm
> >
> > >Ok, I've been reading the book on this, but am confused.
> > >On the transmission there are two adjustments.
> > >1) Selector shaft detent plunger
> > >2) Fifth gear lock out plunger.
> > >What  do these do and will adjusting the fifth gear lockout solve the
> > >problem of shifting into 5 th gear.
> > >I know the clutch needs replacing, could this also be the problem...
> > >Its Fridaty night and I am trying to fry some brains  :)
> > >
> > >Julie Macfarlane
> > >Menlo Park Research & Development
> > >'81 Scirocco (re-animating)
> > >ICQ: 7704980
> > >

> > >--
> > >Email problems to: scirocco-l-probs@scirocco.org  To unsubscibe send

Chris DeLong
ICQ#45030867
Seattle, WA USA
'80 16V Rag
'80 Rocco (new!)
'82 GLI (now with a happy shaved, solenoid operated trunk)
'80 'Vert
'61 17 Window
'78 Scirocco