A non-lister needs some advice to solve intermittant problem

Please respond to kevin@axiomdesign.com
if youhave any advice to offer....

Howdy,

My 1981 Scirocco with the '87 GTI motor is acting up and pissing me off.
People have told me it's the Nology wires, but I'd like some second
opinions.  I've got the Nology coil amp, a brand new coil, Nology
hotwires, and Beru sparkplugs.  I've got a new alternator, fuel pump,
battery, etc.

Here are the problems:

Car will suddenly hesitate hard, sometimes backfiring, then everything
is fine.

Car will idle at 1000rpm, then for no reason, dip to 300 rpm, then back
up to 1000rpm.

Car will sometimes be low on power, the exhaust note sounds muted and
there is no power in the low and middle end of the powerband.

All the above problems are intermittent.  Sometimes the problems occur
when I'm going over rough patches of road, sometimes not.  Its almost as
if those Nology ground wires are hitting the hood or some crap, I don't
know.  Help!!  When the car runs like this, I wanna get rid of it.  When
it hauls ass, I don't.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Your friend at 6000rpm,

Kevin Sproul kevin@axiomdesign.com
Scirocco I Car Club