Re: Refinishing Audi wheels

HOTGTX@aol.com wrote:

> I have some 14's that came off an Audi 4000.  I am thinking about painting
> them black to put on my yellow roc.  Has any one ever refinished and
> repainted a set of wheels?
> Any help would be appreciated!!
>
> Dave
> 85 Scirocco GTX

One of the things I did when I got my 81 was to make a big razzberry
about the 13" rims it came with; gold middle, silver rim BBS
look-alikes. The gold was flaking off in some places. Yuck.

 I shopped around came up with some spray cans of some PlastiKote stuff.
It's like the liquid that you dip the screwdriver handles in.

I found it at Home Depot in Red and Black. I prepped the rim's with
'that purple labeled' wheel foaming spray-on, then some simple green and
then put car wax around the silver outer part to keep the paint from
sticking there.

A few coats and let cure, a few coats and let cure, I think it came out
great. It's a bit flat black but I think it would take a top coat or two
of a gloss paint. It's turn out to be really durable and takes stone
chips and stuff really well.

In fact I believe a dremmel and a soft brush dipped in some good carnuba
would shine them up right.

TBerk