Re: help

On Sat, Feb 19, 2000 at 10:35:46AM -0800, Vi0lat0r wrote:
> Hey guys!
> lastnight i was driving and my Batt. light came onand then my lights got
> dim. after that my radio turned off.
> then every thing was back to normal but my lights arent as bright as they
> were and if i turn up the vol on the radio it turns off.
> i check my grounds at the batt and on the back of the radio....anyonr have
> a clue?

I had a similar problem last month.  One night while driving home, 65 mph on the
lcoal highway, everything goes dark (it was 3am).  I drop it into neutral, and let
it roll to a stop.  Checked cables on the battery and alternator, all is well, so
I hop back in, and note I have battery power again.  Rest of the way home, no
problem.

Over the next couple days, it does exactly what you describe.  Very annoying, so
Saturday morning, I look at the wire on the hot terminal of the battery that goes
to the FI unit.  Horribly corroded to hell.  I trim off 3 inches of wire, strip
the insulation to verify I've got good wire, and re-attach it to the battery.

Problem gone, and hasn't come back.  Nice to be able to turn everything on in the
car, and have the stereo up loud, and the voltmeter barely wiggles, whereas
before, I'd lose a volt and a half when the subwoofer got busy. :-)

Check the wires on the positive battery terminal for corrosion (the digest version
of my story.) :-)

-Pat
1987 Scirocco 8v