Re: mk1 w/ 14's

On Wed, 16 Feb 2000 15:55:08 -0800 (PST) Benjamin Harder
<vwtype53@yahoo.com> writes:
>  When I got my '81 rocco this past fall I threw on a set of wheels
> and tires that I had used on my 86 16v.  They are 14'' rims with
> 195/60/14 tires.  I know, not quite stock size, but the only option at
the
> time.
> I love the rims on the car but the tires just look so HUGE that it
> makes the '81 look like a 4x4 or something (well, not *that* bad).
These
> same wheels/tires look fine on my 16v (IMO).  Anyhow, I was wondering
> what  other MK1 owners prefer for tire size.  TIA
>
> Benjamin Harder
> 86 Scirocco 16v
> 81 Scirocco
> http://members.xoom.com/Scirocco16v/

185 60 14's actually handle much better than 195 60 14's.
Mathematically it might not seem like much difference, but on the car the
difference is tremendous.

195 55 14 is the ultimate 14" size for an A1.

If anyone around Philadelphia with 195 60's wants to do a 185 60 vs. 195
60  road test, come on down, I have plenty of mounted 14's.

Peter
'79 Scirocco 16V project car
'80 Scirocco
'88 Scirocco 16V
'83 GTI, daily driver

              To reply to the Scirocco list click here:
<mailto:thescirocco@juno.com,scirocco-l@scirocco.org>