Re: Rear wheel bearing and caliper tech questions

XXSpArCoXx@aol.com wrote:

>     OK Rear wheel bearing and caliper tech questions as I stated are simple
> ones.
> OK One.
> What do the two wheel bearings get pressed to in the rear? The axles or the
> disc itself. Or one to the disc and one to the axle? I lost my Bentley and
> want to know how big of a job this is going to be since I haven't done it in
> about two years.

Danny,
There are two bearings; inner and outer- its the bearing race that needs
to be pressed
into the rotor. If you have access to a worthy vise, you can do it, but
be certain when
you attempt this, that the race is parallel to the rotor, and go s l o
w. Otherwise,
have a machine shop, or a trusted VW mechanic do it.

> Second.
> Is there a rebuild for the rear calipers? I don't think mine are that bad,
> but one is grabbing more then the other and wearing out the pad faster.

Not really. Go to a junkyard and pull some 'new' used calipers. As I
have learned,
corrosion gets in behind the piston seal, and it goes bad. (This is
typically the
case) A 60-something year old German mechanic, who worked for VW for 30
years, told
me this was an unfortunate design flaw.
You could order calipers from Mark/Wayne at Adirondack as well.

> I guess the third question would be if there isn't any rebuild kit for my
> calipers what can I use to replace them? Anyone know what VW/Audi rear
> calipers would bolt up to the rocco 16v swing arm?

Best solution would be to buy NEW ones; again call Adirondack; theyre on
the web.
Good Luck!
Paul
'84 53b PL