RE: 16v Intermittent Engine Probs

Ben Patterson wrote:
>Hey there all -

>	Unfortunately, this other one hasn't been going away. I've
>got a really funky thing happening with my engine on start.

snip

> Got me.... if I just turn the car off and
>start it again, it goes away most of the time. (It will happen when
>the car is hot too, so it's not limited to the cold start
>systems...)
>	The other problem I've got ..... the tach will jump to some
>ridiculous number (like it will be at 1100 and it will read
>7-8000 or something crazy.

that all sounds like problems with the electrical ignition system to me.
Like Chris D. said check the hall sender and the KS box. I would also be
suspicious of the coil and of the ICU. Reason being that the tach gets
is't signal from terminal 1 of the coil, which is controlled by the ICU.

If it is either one of these, then it should get worse, which you should
notice.

Other than that, it could be a problem with old wiring. Less likely, but
always a possibility.

HTH

Jonas
85 Scirocco 2.0