Re: how can i tell if i have powerlocks

> NastyRican1021@aol.com wrote:
> >
> > i had a short the other day and the locks started going up and
> down. i didnt
> > knw i had powerlocks. i cant find the wires for them tho. any
> idas on if i
> > got powerlocks?
> >
> > --
>
> VW (as John said) uses vacuum to power the door locks and such.
> Look in
> the trunk/ rear hatch area for the air pump, it most likely behind a
> carpeted area. (My experience w/ this stuff is A2 Jettas).
>
> Other wise I'd think the PO had installed electrical operators in each
> door to work the locks.
>
> You will need the Bentley/ Haneys combo to track wires, no substitute
> for looking and diagramming on a clipboard.

  as soon as i can get my lazy ass in gear there will be a tutorial on
my web page describing the installation of the thing (thouhg i keep
breaking on of the #%^$W& pins!). the pump is located in the rear
passenger side corner of the trunk, sort of smushed down in the car. it
is covered by a foam housing. not only are the dorrs controlled, but the
gas flap and the trunk as well. it is a vacuum system (as previously
stated) and the only wiring you have is what runs from the pump to the
drivers door and the fuse panel. you then have hoses running from the
pump to the passenger door, the hatch, and the gas flap. an easy way to
see if you have the vacuum system is 1) open up the hatch as look by the
lock. there should be a bar running across. if you genlty pull on it,
it'll go back and forth. or 2) check your gas flap. afaik, only the
sciroccos that cam with pdl's have a little 'pin' on the top right
corner that goes into a hole where and actuator locks it. my did not
come with pdl's and didn't have the pin. of course, if this is a jc
whitney pseudo-pdl hack job, then i can be of no help.

--
 /\_/\   Foxx (in a box)
< o o >  http://foxx.tripd.com