Fake cat (meow :) )

Eric wrote:
>well at least it seemed like a good idea at the time;)

He he he. They will probably put that on my gravestone. :)

>>1. If you use a high flow cat. and 2" exhaust instead of the
>>stock one and the 1 5/8"? stock exhaust you gain a few hp
>>from less restriction right?
>
>yep, right

>>2. How much extra hp are you gaining with the straight pipe
>>idea over the 2" high flow cat with 2" exhaust?
>
>none but thats not the point.  He said he wanted to pass the VISUAL test
>and a straight pipe cat would *probably* do this.  It should also not
>affect power much, if at all over no cat.  It is also cheaper that 200 or
>so for a high flo cat.

Tell me about it, it was the most expensive part of my exhaust system.

>I dont think he was looking for more performance but at the same time i
>dont think you would want worse performance either.

>>3. Will it pass the sniffer test without a cat.
>>
>>I have considered this in the past but I always feared
>>not passing the sniffer so I got a high flow 2" cat.
>
>No idea, havent ever had to worry about it (gotta love Iowa for that).

Unfortunately out here in CA they are very strict. :(

>I've got nothing but a super turbo and 2 1/4".  I would guess that he
>should have no problems passing given a good running engine.  IMO, cats are
>shit and do next to nothing anyway.
>   I also remembered after i posted that you arent *supposed* to be able to
>buy used ones in a yard, but if you knew anyone that worked at one im sure
>they would let you throw a couple in your trunk if you were buying some
>other stuff.  Or if someone had one sitting around in their garage you
>could get one that way.

I have a used stock one off of my 81S that still has all the honeycomb stuff
intact if anyone want's it.

>hope i answered your ?'s, dont think for a second that I'm experienced in
>actually doing this:)  I've never made a fake cat before, nor do i need to;
>but im pretty sure it would work.
>just throwin out ideas to see if i can help out.

Thanks, I'm not a mechanic either just a tinkerer. Ideas are what make this
list such a great resource, Keep em' comin'.

-Randy