Knock box problem.......

Greetings again, your favorite pest......  :-0

    I am having trouble with my car.  I have an 84 GTi with an 85 GTi engine
installed.  That engine has the CIS-E engine in it.  I have had the car for a
while and not had problems up until more recently.  I just installed a head
gasket because of a massive oil leak from the oil return (?) there in the
front of the block.  Anyways, while in there I upgraded to ARP bolts, which
are very nice.  They look very strong and feel very substantial.  Anyways,
ever since the gasket install, I am having strange problems with the engine
not advancing like it should.  It is usually consistent in screwing up when I
start hard from a sudden stop, like at a stop sign.  It however does this all
the time, with little regularity.  As the engine does come on, you can feel
it gently surge, as it begins to advance, but seemingly not fast enough.  I
have not yet had time to try to trouble shoot this from the Bentley manual.
Also, the kncok sensor probably does not have 10k miles on it, nor does the
new connection onto the harness, gold plated connectors.  One last thing, the
car sat for almost two years.  I parked it when I started to have the H/G
problem.  I had to abandon it in California till I could afford to bring it
to Texas.

    Sorry this is so long winded, but I have been trying to figure this out
for about a month now with little improvement.  Hopefully someone can help
me.  I need to kick some Chevy truck ass, as that is all there is around
here.  :-)

Thanks again in advance...........

David