Re: What Plugs are better?

> >I have worked on japanese car before and the Nippondensos are the worst
>plug
> >you could use (next to autolite or champion). I would advise against ANY
>
> >japanese spark plug for your German car. Of course IMHO.

Please note that I DID state that this was IN MY OPINION. I did not say this
was a fact.

>This is more for Dan's info and less for your baiting tactics. I can back
>up anything I say on this list or I wouldn't say it. Simply put.
>I don't know what you know about the NGK or the Nippondenso plants that
>produce these spark plugs. I don't know what you know about the quality
>control that goes into the making of their spark plugs. I also don't know
>what applications you have ever used any of these spark plugs in either.
>Furthermore, I know that just because its German made, doesn't mean its
>worth a shit. Case in point, Ive had plugs in 2 different sets of Bosch
>Silbers drop the center electrode. probably the absolute worst thing that
>can happen from ANY spark plug.

I wouldnt promote anything other than the super 3 elctrode plug.

>If you know anything about Bosch Platinum plugs, you will know that they
>are designed for your basic commuter car. Longevity at the cost of
>performance. Looking at used Platinum plugs, the center electrode seems
>to wear rapidly on some cars. With such a little electrode, its no wonder
>why. That's really the only reason why I don't like or use them.

I agree with this. Bosch platinums suck. From what I have seen they behave
just like the Nippondensos and they like to seize in the head if they are
left in to long.

>I also am not the kind of person who is one minded in thinking that
>"German parts only for my German cars". In my travels and endeavors over
>the years, ive come to learn that the best parts come from all over. Sure
>there are alot of parts that I do insist to be only German made parts.
>However there is also a list of parts that can come from any
>manufacturer. If I learn that a Yugo part works better or lasts longer
>than what I currently use, you can bet your bottom dollar that I would
>indeed use a Yugo part on my German made VW.

To each his own.

>Just to go further as to why and how I know so much about NGK or
>Nipondenso plugs, at one time (Gawd, long time ago.) I was a simple parts
>driver for a local parts chain. Part of being a dealer of various parts
>is we got to lean alot about where all the parts were made and what goes
>into the various parts, materials, engineering, design goals ect. At this
>time I was also heavily involved with my Uncle's drag racing program with
>his Alcohol burning funnycar. We used Champion plugs on the car and
>replaced the plugs after every 2nd run. We went thru ALOT of spark plugs.
>

>(we tested them after each run and the dual Magneto's would simply burn
>out the plugs. Resistance readings of 64ohms after one run was actually
>common.)
>
>So before the next race, he calls me up and says to pick up a case of
>spark plugs on my way out of work. Normally this was not a problem but
>one day, for whatever reason, the warehouse was completely out of the
>champion plugs. The only thing we had in stock and in any quantity that
>was the same as the champion plugs were NGK's. After we used these for 4
>runs, the ohm readings were the same as when we got them. We used one set
>for the entire day of racing. Our time slips showed a slight improvement
>over previous events. I cant say that yes, these plugs were the reason
>for our 2tenths improvement over the previous weekends racing since there
>are so many variables to consider. The savings of money from being able
>to use plugs for more than 2 runs was worth looking into.
>
>This is when we began to look into spark plug manufactures on a serious
>level. Up until this point, we used the Champion plugs because That's
>what everybody else used. (Lemmings we were, back then.) We tried alot of
>different plugs including the Bosch plugs. We kept comming back to the
>NGK's for the funnycar.
>
>For street use, ive used alot of spark plugs. For the most part, a spark
>plug is a spark plug, especially on a commuter type car. If you get into
>spirited driving or autoX or road race, you might want something more
>specific.
>
>Ive used a single set of NGK tripple trode plugs in an old 77' Datsun
>B-210 for over 2 years. They were in the car when I sold it. They tested
>fine so why replace them.
>
>Sorry for the ultra lengthy reply Dan, just wanted you to get a taste of
>where im comming from. FYI, When I reply to anything (Which is getting
>fewer and far between lately) I speak from hard core experience. (Ask
>anyone who's been around a while and knows me.) if I know something, I
>like to help out those who want it.

Thanks for explaining how you came to be interested in thee plugs. Like I
said in thee very beginning thsi was all in my opinion. I work on German and
only German cars. I have had bad experiences with both Bosch and ND plugs.
However I have noticed that the ND's have failed more often in the Japanese
cars they were designed for. Bosch had a much loweer failuree rate in German
cars. I did not however put Japanese plugs in a German car or vise versa.

> >Spoken like a true Toyota mechanic there Sean ;) Do you get commission
> >for promoting Japanese products?

This statement probably was not called for and I apologise for it.

Chris DeLong
ICQ#45030867
Seattle, WA USA
'80 16V Rag
'82 GLI (now with a happy shaved, solenoid operated trunk)
'80 'Vert
'61 17 Window
'78 Scirocco