Re: UPDATE good/bad Oil pan gasket change gone very bad

The common failure related to the oil cooler is the o-ring which is
installed between the oil cooler and the filter flange which is bolted to
the block.  It is possible for a seep to become a bad leak if, during an
oil change, the filter backs out the threaded pipe that serves as a
conduit to the oil filter and also holds the oil cooler in place, via a
27mm nut.

You may be able to stem a flood by removing the oil filter and ensuring
that a) the pipe is bottomed out and b) the nut is tight (1 1/16" is a
close approximation for 27mm and in a pinch will serve for the torque spec
of the nut, which I believe is 18 ft/lb)  To tighten the pipe with the
cooler in place it's best to use a jam nut, but if you don't have a spare
oil cooler setup around the appropriate nut might be hard to come by.
Normally you would snug it up with pliers on the unthreaded portion of the
nipple, however if the cooler is in place you'll have to wrap the threads
with an old innertube and snug it up (it only threads into alumninum, so
don't overtighten it) with a pair of WP pliers or vice grips.  If it looks
like someone before you has damaged the threads with pliers, order a new
nipple from the dealer (or flip it end for end if the damge isn't too bad)
as it's likely that thread damage which is causing the filter to back out
the nipple when removed.

However, If you're going that far, you may find it beneficial to remove
the cooler and install a new o-ring (the replacement o-ring should have
samll eyelets on the inside of the ring which engage tabs in the cooler,
to ensure proper alignment of the o-ring).  I've never actually done this
with the hoses still on the cooler - it may be necessary to drain the
coolant and disconnect the two rubber coolant hoses from the cooler before
you can get enough clearance to r&r the cooler o-ring.

Hope this helps,

Drew

On Mon, 14 Feb 2000 Captnbr@aol.com wrote:

> would I expect. (don't worry I still love it).  It is very hard to tell
> exactly where, some where close to the oil cooler. So where do i go from
> here? The place where it seems to be leaking appears to be impossible to get
> to.  How do I remove the oil cooler?  The two bolts that seem to hold the oil
> cooler to the engine are blocked by the oil cooler itself.  Something must
> have happened when I muscled off the old oil filter.  Special thanks goes to
> those who suggested it might be something else leaking now.
>
> Brian 86 16v
> http://hometown.aol.com/captnbr/myhomepage/auto.html

Drew MacPherson, Network Analyst, University of Guelph

drew@dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca           |  visit the Massey-Harris page:
http://dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca/~drew   |  http://m-h.cs.uoguelph.ca