ground connections on 88 16v rocco

As some have noticed,...I'm re-installing my 1.8 16v back into my rocco after the motor and tranny were rebuilt.  The motor is in and I am now going through the wiring.  Here is the question,....the groud strap that comes off the battery (-) goes to the tranny, (I think?) and then continues on to the engine?.  Anyhow,...that wire is pretty bad off so I went down and bought some new 4 guage wire and terminals.  So before I bolt this thing up....is there a "better" ground connection than what VW had set up?  Because I always had 'ground problems on my 16v's so I always ran multiple ground wires which really "cured" a lot of my problems.  But this is a "new" engine and I want the wiring to be correct before I start buttoning up all the fuel system and whatnot.....anyone?
chris