Re: [Mk1] Rear Brake Lights - From two to four (dual element bulbs)

T Berk wrote:

> Currently there is a single pair of (red) lights in the back that come
> on when the headlights are on.
> Wondering about converting the rear brake lights to the following setup-
> Parking/head lights ON = four light squares show on back.
> Foot on Brake Pedal = four other, additional lights show in the existing
> squares.
> In order to get this, the bulb holders (the part with metal contacts
> that carry the power) need to be replaced with dual pole connectors.
> Then, with a few modifications to the wires to daisy chain the pairs
> together and replacing the single element lights with duals, things
> improve.
> Wondering if any cars in the junk yard have the parts that I can just
> swap in, say Cabriolets or Golfs, maybe Mk2s. Don't want to hack on the
> plastic assemblies themselves, just swap the small bits and rewire, if
> possible.

  Tosha,

I have done something similar, but kept the stock 2 brake lights
(currently using Hella 20 watt Halogens).  I added a dual filament bulb
(I think it was the 2357 bulb) to the parking circuit, so now when I
brake I get all 4 red lenses to glow brightly.  I tried searching for a
dual filament holder, but had no luck, so I just decided to solder them.
One thing I would do when setting up the rear to have quad brake lights
is to use a relay.  My voltage went from around 10.5V to 13V.  Shawn
Meze was behind me on the way back from Chevys at last years ND show and
he thought my brake lights were *extremely* bright. =)  My only concern
in using the quad parking lights method is that even if dimly lit some
idiots may think your brakes are on.  If you want any other details, let
me know!

  André Bjorkheim
  Lime Green 79 Scirocco ©
  http://idt.net/~volkswgn/profile/pro3.html