Re: Quaife Question

In a message dated 2/10/00 3:14:24 PM Pacific Standard Time,
roccolister@hotmail.com writes:

<< I just got off of the phone and was shocked to find out I've been quoted a
minimum of $702 (9 hours labor) for installation. Folks, that's without
having them remove and install the tranny in my car.

 My question is, have any of you done this job yourself? I'd appreciate
 knowing if this is something that can be done in a garage, or if you know
 someone in the SF Bay Area that is more reasonable. >>

Hey Craig,

I used Pete's Gearshop in Hayward.  He's on Foothill Blvd., right off highway
238.  Nice guys and he knows his stuff.  He did my Quaife install for about
$450.  That included all the gaskets, carrier bearings and a diff. bolt kit.
I should have gone for all new syncros too, now I regret it.  Talk to Peter.

Reading through the Bentley, I wouldn't do it.  Special tools and shims
required.

GL.

-Dick-
78 Scirocco