Re: alternator bearings...

Yes, it can...  be sure to check the brushes as well.  You will probably
need a press to remove and replace the bearings.  I have a press, but when
checking around for bearing prices I found it was cheaper to have the local
electric motor place press their bearings on than it was to just buy new
bearings somewhere else.  I walked in with armature in hand, and they asked
what it was for.  When I said an alternator they wanted nothing to do with
it until I explained that all I wanted was new bearings.  Then they said
"oh, we can do that for you"

Have fun

John

lots of stuff