Re: Engine swap help...

Doctor Scirocco wrote:

> Hello!  I currently have an 80 MK1 with a 1.6 engine.  My friend recently
> totalled his 86 Cabriolet with a nice clean 1.8 - According to Eric (Night
> Shadow), he says the swap should be an easy one, especially since my motor
> mounts are 16V and there have been some upgrades...  Can anyone tell me how
> extensive of work I am looking at to get the 1.8 into my car?  There isn't
> much in my car right now, I took the AC out, and some other major
> obstacles...  Thanks!
> --Brian--

You take the motor out, you put the motor in, you put it on the road,
and shake it all about, you do the hokey Pokey and you turn yourself
around, that's what it's all about!  :)

Hmm, lost the flow in order to remain factual. Sorry.

In reality you will have less than any problems, just take some hands
on. Good time to replace seals and clutch components, easier to drop the
Eng. and trans as a unit out the bottom while you raise the car a bit,
your gonna need some tools like the 8 mm triple square drive (don't use
a Hex bit), a 30 mm socket on a 3/4 drive breaker bar, don't roll the
bearing (wheel) without an axle in place, just how much do you want to
know anyway?

TBerk
Bolt the 1.8 up, better to use your old valve cover with it's vacuum and
ERG ports. BTW- Your 80 has a 1.7L, casting on the outside still says
1.6.