From: John Worden <scirocco@powerlink.net>
To: Jan Folkson <jfolkson@optonline.net>; scirocco list
<scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
Sent: Wednesday, February 09, 2000 11:50 AM
Subject: Re: HOLY CRAP!

At 01:11 PM 02/09/2000 -0500, Jan Folkson wrote:
>Hi All,
>
>Just got back from the dealership where I had my new stock exhaust put on
>(Thanks Potterman).  While I was there I asked them to check out a small
oil
>leak that I've been noticing for a while now.  Being that the car has sat
>idle for most of the winter, they didn't have any trouble finding out where
>it was coming from...EVERYWHERE!  I need to reseal the entire motor and
>transmission.  This sucks!  I also figure that I may as well replace the
>original clutch since I'm going to have the tranny apart, as well as all of
>the belts including the timing belt.  So here's a list of all of the stuff
>that I'm going to have done:
>
>Valve cover/cylinder gasket kit
>All engine seals
>O-ring
>Timing belt
>Tensioner
>All V-belts
>Crankshaft oil seal
>Transmission seal kit
>Clutch kit
>Stretch bolts
>12 month/12,000 mile warranty on parts and labor
>
>All for the remarkable price of $2,060 + tax. HOLY CRAP :?

This is a joke right?  I hope so.  That's an awful lot of money to do that;
it's cheaper to buy another motor or better yet another Scirocco.  I would
get a second opinion on this.  It's not common for a car to have ALL
gaskets fail at the same time.  Mostly it's just a valve cover, possibly
headgasket, sometimes crank seal and drive flange seals(but still not all
at the same time).  And sitting for winter wouldn't do that-I've had car
sitting for longer than a year that had NO problems whatsoever.  The best
thing for you to do is clean the engine thoroughly and look at it yourself
and/or get another vw mechanic(non dealer) to check it.  Good luck.

John Worden
Wayne, Maine
ICQ 1527476
'81 MkI w/2.0 16V (waiting for the spring)
'86 MkII 8V  (also waiting for the spring)
'98 Dodge Dakota 4x4