Re: Fuel Pump Relay extension harness

>My '81 (Rabbit 16v) never had the recall done where the fuel pump
>relay was moved from the fusebox to the extension relay.

I am going to assume that this car is convertable. Seeing as how US model
Rabbits didnt have this recall due to the reconfiguration of the fuse box.

>I now have an extension relay (thanks, Brett) in my possession.  It
>looks as if I have to detach the red-and-yellow wire that runs to the
>fuel pump from its hookup under the dash and tie it to the
>red-and-yellow wire hanging off the extension relay.
>
>{For those of you following along in your Bentley, page 119, it looks
>like I cut the red/yellow wire of current track 22, and tie it to the
>r/y wire coming off the extension relay, which doesn't seem to be
>shown in the Bentley.}

Ok well I dont (unfortunately) have my Bentley in front of me right now.
But, from what I remember the recall consists of cutting a green wire with a
black stripe off of the "A" multiconnector on the back of the fusebox. This
green/black wire you have to put a female spade connector on it and attach
it to the 3-way connector along with the red/white wires that are doubled up
into a single female spade connector. The remaining hole in the 3-way
connector is to be connected to the red/yellow wire coming from the relay
harness that you just got.

>My question is do I then lose everything that connected thru
>connector "T"?  That is, anything that was run off the fuel pump
>relay closing?

This is the 3-way connector I was referring to.

>I don't think this is a problem, because as I look at the '81 wiring
>diagram, all that stuff is gone; it's replaced by analogous systems
>from the 16v engine. There's no "oxs volt supply relay", there's a
>completely different "oxs control unit," etc.  Just want some
>reassurance that my 16v conversion has a hope of starting when I get
>everything hooked in.

Oops, this information I just stated applies to '77 through '80 (non-cali)
models without O2 sensors. I could be way off but I think it should be
fairly similar to what I wrote.

Anyway I hope this helps!

Chris DeLong
ICQ#45030867
Seattle, WA USA
'80 16V Rag
'82 GLI (now with a happy shaved, solenoid operated trunk)
'80 'Vert
'61 17 Window
'78 Scirocco