[8V,JH] crankshaft oil seals

Hi all,

I think I've finally figured out where my oil leak is coming from. I'll be
sure when I can get the crankshaft pulley off (see previous thread). It
appears that the crankshaft oil seal on the passenger side of the engine
(1986 8V, JH) is leaking. I can't find any obvious leak at my head gasket
in that area (though I'll be able to see better with the timing belt stuff
out of the way when I can do that). It appears that oil is getting on the
crankshaft pulley and is being sprayed around there, with a lot of it
ending up on my suspension and steering stuff on the passenger side. Quite
disgusting in there, actually.

According to Bentley, replacing the seal can be done with the engine in
the car. Has anyone done this? Can it be done without using VW's
special tool, and still not having to removing the engine?

Thanks,
Oliver

Oliver Seiler -- Software Developer, Pivotal Software, http://www.pivotal.com
    Scirocco MkII Diary - http://erisian.com/~oseiler/scirocco/index.html