Re: 2.0 16v Update

I got a block from a salvage yard (2.0L 16v from a passat) and they said it
had 45k on it.  Tore it down to check it all out and found that the crank
was pitted and needed machined.  Ended up having to go with the one size
under bearings.  Not too bad though since the bearings were actually cheaper
and the yard gave me a $50 credit (cost me $45 for the crank machining).
All of this to say: whether it is said to have 25K or 125K, I would go
through it anyway.  Not worth the few extra bucks for bearings to have to
pull it back out to overhaul it after it stranded you on the freeway, plus,
once you NEED an overhaul, you may be replacing More parts than just the
bearings and you might end up with a block looking like Chris G's!!!  Just
my anal opinion!

My 77 has been in the Family since new so Yes, I do keep in touch with my
PO.  Once in a while I will find out something new on it at family
gatherings!!  Good luck with the 2.0L!!

Dave