RE: Why my '81 16v won't start? (part 2)

Dave Novak wrote:
>>The Jetta one (w/ 4 connectors) would probably need to have it's
>>ground connected to terminal 10 of the knock box. That would allow the

>Shouldn't I use terminal 10 on the knock box to ground the fuel
>pump relay?

Only if you are using the Jetta FPR. Your Scirocco FPR will work fine
without terminal 10 controlling it's ground. Leave Terminal 10
unconnected.

>But, do I wanna use the Knock Box's signal for grounding the fuel pump
>instead of the possibly bad or messed up ground coming from the
>coil.

Here's how I see it. So far we have observed that terminal 1 of the coil
is permanently grounded.
We are assuming that the ICU is fine because it worked in the donor. The
other wire coming off of terminal 1 goes to the relay panel. It makes a
connection to the FPR, and then makes a connection to the Tach. The wire
from the coil to the FPR checks out fine,  i.e, no continuity to ground.
The wire to the tach also checks out fine. There is an added observation
that the Fuel pump does not run when terminal 15 (+12v switched) of the
coil is connected, but when disconnected it does run.

This brings the FPR into suspect. If the FPR has worn itself out to the
point where that extra little pin is permanently being grounded, then
the FPR could be causing the permanent ground at terminal 1.

To check this, remove the FPR. You could check for spark if you want, or
you could just jumper the fuel pump as described earlier, and try to
start the car.

If that does not work, then we're back at trying to look at the wiring
and seeing where that short is at.

TTYS

Jonas