(Tech) Rough Idle 16v

Hey all!!

It was slow at work yesterday (Saturday the 30th) so I was looking through
the All Data on the 16v motor and found that there is an adjustment to make
in the fuel distributor that greatly affects idle and initial acceleration.
If you energize the fuel pump (I used the key on engine off a few times but
the book/computer will tell you to use a jumper wire) this will pressurize
the fuel distributor and cause it to be a little difficult to fully lift the
sensor plate.  Measure the free-play from the rest position to where the arm
touches the fuel dist. push rod.  This distance should be between 1 and 2mm.
If not, pull the fuel distributor and adjust the rod.  It is pretty easy,
just make sure that if you need to decrease the freeplay you turn the
adjusting screw (the slotted screw that the rod goes through--bend the
locking washer flat then loosen the lock nut) clockwise and vice versa for
increasing freeplay.  1/4 turn is equal to approximately 1.3mm.

I did this and then adjusted the air/fuel mixture and the idle smoothed out
and the accelerater pedal got more sensitive (i.e. barely have to touch the
pedal to cruise at 70mph!).  I expect my fuel mileage to increase also!!!!
I was only getting 35mpg already so I hope this makes that better (hee hee).
Hope this helps someone!!!

Dave
77 Rabbit 2.0L 16v
84 Scirocco