Passat Problems

VW has not had a very good track record with their auto trans.  Daun got
off lucky, because it was a lose wire.  Their are several failure points
for the trans.
1)  The electronic trans brains fail a  lot.  This causes the trans to go
into "limp" mode, like Daun's.  Basically if you don't manually shift the
trans, it stays in 3rd all of the time.  Even working in a wrecking yard,
our cost on a used trans brain is usually around $200-300.
2)  The trans also have problems with torque converters, where the trans
will just slip for no apparent reason.
3)  The trans also have problems with just plain ol' failure of internal
components.  Don't think you can get away from internal problems, ala the
self-shearing rivets, the auto's have their own weak links.  Most of
their problems will leave the car driveable for quite some time, although
they don't run well, so in that sense, I guess they may be better than
the rivet problem, but once they start to go bad, there is no turning
back.
The worst auto trans are the Eurovan, followed by the 2.0 16 v passats,
then the VR6 passats, and lastly the Jetta III's/ Golf III's.
Used prices on these start at usually $1200 and the Eurovan can cost up
to $2000.
Just speaking from the experience of working around these things for the
last year or so, and we don't even accept jobs on the Eurovan or passat,
just because they are almost guaranteed to have problems and come back.

Ken Weidmann Jr.
Checkered Flag Automotive Components
619-589-0321
1995 Jetta GLX M3 Wannabe