batt/alt problem?

Listers,

84 8v...

The other day I'm heading home from work and notice that my battery and
OXS lights are on on the dash. Rats! will I make it the 20 miles home?
Made it home and check voltage at battery with car running...about 11.4
volts.

After the roc had been sitting a few days (its averaged about 15
degrees here if it matters), I get about 12.4 v from the battery. I
start the car...get about 13.8 volts. I let the car warm up for 10+
minutes and start driving. Go about 1/2 mile and the battery and OXS
lights on the dash light up. They get brighter the faster I go. I pull
over and check voltage at battery with the car running...its now about
11.4v. This is with heater and headlights on. I have a new Die Hard
battery and new (rebuilt) 90 amp alternator (from NAPA) both with about
2k miles.

Couple of questions...

Do you think I received a bum alternator from NAPA? Can I test it
without taking it to a parts store? Left my Bentley at work...I'll
check it tomorrow.

Will the car run continuously with only 11.4 volts at night with
headlights and heater, or will it eventually die? I'd like to wait
until warmer weather to replace the alternator if possible. I have
another car to drive but prefer the roc.

Is this symptomatic of some other automotive malady or is it most
likely alternator related?

TIA for all responses,
-Keith

84 8v <- suffering the winter blahs?