Help!

Ok here's the deal. I've got an 86 8v, it has run perfectly pretty much
since I got it 2.75 years ago. I had some idle problems back in the day but
thats about it. Anyways, yesterday I got in my car to go to a friend's house
and started the car, it was idling normally and steadily, was getting ready
to leave, and boom the car just dies. I tried to restart it to no avail,
until the battery pretty much died. When I tried to restart it it seemed
like it almost caught on but died immediately a couple times, but not even
close to actually running. Today I put my charger/starter on it, and all
that happened was the starter turned and turned, nothing else. Its been
extremely cold here, however, the fact that it started so nicely at first
makes me pretty sure that its not the cold start valve. When I try to start
it and have the ignition on, the fuel pump makes its little humming noise,
seemingly normal for a couple of seconds, so its probably not the relay, and
it sounds like the pump is functioning properly as well.

Ok, so where do I go from here? Its extremely cold outside so I figured I'd
come here to get a list of things to check before I start taking shit apart.

Thanks in advance,

Duffy Penski
86 8v