Re: few questioons regarding 87 16v

In a message dated 12/28/2000 12:53:44 AM Eastern Standard Time,
strtstr@mediaone.net writes:

<< ...but now it looks like I gotta take out the battery to get to the air
filter? I'm not too experienced with mechanics but have a decent sense of it,
so if I sound dumb, I won't sound this way for long. >>

It is not has hard as it looks.  When I was having the oil soaked airfilter
problem I managed to master it.  Disconnect, the large intake boot from the
throttle body.  Then disconnect the to hoses that go to the intake boot, I
think one is a breather hose and one is a vacuum line.  Unclip the clips that
hold the, uhhhhhh (i'm getting technical now) fuel system thing to the airbox
and lift it up. Reach in and grab the old filter and slide it out, and under
the intake boot, then up. Its kinda hard to explain on paper. much easier to
demonstrate. Installation is in reverse of course.

<<If the engine is running and I take the oil cap off, oil sprays out onto my
hand and whatever else is around. Why is that and how much is it to correct?>>

This is good, you don't want to correct this as this is what is supposed to
be doing. those are the oil squirters squritin oil,  keeping your cams all
lubed up. and the clicking is the cams and lifters doing their job.

Brian 86 16v
<http://members.nbci.com/captnbr/captnbr>

<http://hometown.aol.com/captnbr/myhomepage/auto.html>