seat question

in my previous scirocco, if you tried to adjust the seat, you had to shake it like crazy while not sitting in it just to get the lever to lock back down in position, a huge pain in the ass. Well now I have my new to me scirocco and guess what? Same damn problem. What can i do to correct this and why the hell does it happen?

Also, some numnuts installed an aftermarket antenna on my 87 16v right at the right bottom corner of the windshield. The original 16v antenna is on as well. How do i determine which is being used?

any help is greatly appreciated.