Turn signal questions

Ok, the car is an 80 Scirocco S. The turn signals don't work, and the light
in the dash just comes on when you try to turn them on in either direction.
The blinkers do not come on at all. Thje Hazards do work though. Does anyone
have any ideas on what I should look at first? I thought I would ask the
collective first before I actually do any real work on this.

Mike
http://www.geocities.com/vwmikel
'84-Arkay Turbo Rabbit GTI
'84-Rabbit GTI - uh.....
'77-Rabbit - project
'80-Scirocco S - (um... to be:1.9L crossflow, turbo, 6 speed, widebody?)