Re: re; dusted a Honda.

Allow me to add some additional confusion ;)

We have a 1987 Scirocco 16V and a 1994 Prelude Si 4WS (2.3L DOHC, 16v
NON-vtec, rated 160 HP)

Our Prelude may or may not be the same version as the one Travis raced; as
Rusty stated, all the 5Gen Preludes (1997+) are vtec irrespective of trim.

My Scirocco runs well, but is an absolutely stock 1.8L. The Prelude is also
dead stock, and not as fresh as the Scirocco.

If I get the right drop I can put the Scirocco +/- a car length away from my
Prelude stoplight to stoplight (my wife or a friend and I have done this
comparo a lot ;) Our Prelude against 4Gen vtecs or 5Gen cars, I can usually
pull off a win if it is a short block but if they have time to wind out call
it advantage vtec.

That said, I can see getting a very clean launch and beating a vtec Prelude
in the Scirocco. It has at least 600 pounds less mass to accelerate and a
higher (numeric) final drive ratio (3.67 vs. 3.45 in ours, not sure about
vtec's...)

For those who might care, more comparison data...

My Scirocco (Ate rotors, Ferrodo pads, 185/60 BFG Comp T/A's on 14"
snowflakes) also outbrakes the Prelude (Honda rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads,
195/50 BFG Comp T/A's on 15" Honda alloys) by about 20 feet in measured runs
from 70-0, as well as surpassing it in the Gtech sustained cornering drill
by a 0.86g to 0.81g score, both on the same shopping plaza parking lot after
hours.

It's also a lot more fun to drive the Scirocco, as it is terribly better at
telling you what the car is doing underneath you. Part of that is the 4WS
system, and can be disabled by pulling a relay. The rest is due to
exceptionally numb steering feel and a rubbery-feeling suspension. I do have
the Scirocco set up with big Autotech sway bars (22fr, 28rr) and urethane
suspension bushings while the Prelude is all stock except for non-adjustable
KYB struts

IMHO, the vtec motor sucks in the real world. There's about a 1500 rpm band
way up top where the motor screams, the rest of the time you might as well
get out and push. I have a friend with an early (93?)Integra GS-R that I
regularly embarrass because he was taught not to over-rev his motor by his
well-intentioned father. He's learning, slowly, to appreciate what his car
is so infamous for, and so disappointing at under 6k...

Cheers,

Christian
stuff...