Should I buy a Passat?

I'm going to be looking to replace my Jeep soon (Aimee and I are sick of 20
mpg and the fact that it's a truck and very noisy), and I don't have any
confidence in American cars, if you can imagine that.  I'll probably be
spending $3-4k, and I will need a car with enough room for 2 kids.  I think
a Jetta/Golf might be a little small for our needs, and a Vanagon is out of
the question for my wife.

Is there anything really wrong with Passats that would be in that price
range, as long as I avoid the automatics?  Are the automatics repairable, or
does that require highly specialized tools/knowledge?  Or do they go out so
quickly I wouldn't want to bother?

Thanks for your input...
Aaron
'82 Scirocco