RE: CA smog question involving NON-OP registration

> From: Jonas Karlsson [mailto:jonas85k@hotmail.com]

> days). The
> non-operational status does not transfer to the new owner.
> The new owner
> needs to register the car, and to register it, you need a
> smog check. No
> (anywhere near easy) way around it. If you have evidence to
> the contrary,
> please let me know.

Yes, the previous owner had the car registered as non-op (he hadn't driven
it for about a year) and I went to the DMV and had the ownership transferred
over to me and registered it as a non-op vehicle. It was easy. The DMV
people acted like it was something they do every day--no questions asked--no
special paperwork or anything. I paid my fees and was done in about 5
minutes.

'Course, if I ever plan to operate it on the streets, I'll need to pass smog
before I can get an operational registration.